How to Apply for a Building Permit
How to Apply for an In-Person Permit
The City of Carmel-by-the-Sea requires a building permit application for any projects that affect: demolition, structural additions or changes, electrical, mechanical, or plumbing work. In order to successfully complete the Application Form, applicants must:
- Read through the entirety of the application for a complete understanding of what is required
- Mark the appropriate type of work proposed at the top of the application.
- Complete all fields on the application. Applications with missing or incorrect information may be rejected.
- Provide a detailed project description that includes all proposed work on the site.
- Ensure that the declarations on the back of the permit are completed and initialed as applicable to your project.
- The property owners signature is required on all building permit applications.
- Submit the permit application with the complete construction documents either via mail or in person.
All applications must be submitted with a complete set of construction documents which include:
- Permit application
- Construction & Demolition Plan
- If the plans are not submitted through the website, then a digital copy of the plans, supporting documents, and application forms on either a USB or CD
For a full list of what is required for your specific project see the complete submittal requirements.