How to Apply for a Building Permit
The City of Carmel-by-the-Sea requires a building permit application for any projects that affect: demolition, structural additions or changes, electrical, mechanical, or plumbing work. For one- and two-family residential projects where complete plumbing, electrical, and mechanical plans are submitted at the time of application, the applicant may request multiple permits on the same application. When a project involves commercial construction, or when construction documents for single-trade permits have been deferred to allow for bidder designed systems, a permit application and complete construction document submittal is required for each permit. In order to successfully complete the Application Form, applicants must:
- Read through the entirety of the application for a complete understanding of what is required
- Mark the appropriate type of work proposed at the top of the application.
- Complete all fields on the application. Applications with missing or incorrect information may be rejected.
- Provide a detailed project description that includes all proposed work on the site.
- Ensure that the declarations on the back of the permit are completed and initialed as applicable to your project.
- The property owners signature is required on all building permit applications.
- Submit the permit application with the complete construction documents either via mail or in person.
All applications must be submitted with a complete set of construction documents which include:
- Permit application
- Construction & Demolition Plan
- Three (3) copies of plan sets
- Two (2) copies of supporting documents which include items such as: structural and civil calculations, engineers reports, and stormwater prevention plan.
For a full list of what is required for your specific project see the complete submittal requirements.
Applications can be dropped off in person, mailed in, or emailed to:
Building Permit Technician
City Hall, Planning and Building Department
Monte Verde 3 SE of Ocean Ave
PO Box CC
Carmel-by-the-Sea, CA 93921
Tel: (831) 620-2010