The Local History Department is the archives for Carmel-by-the-Sea, and is devoted to acquiring, preserving, and making available historically significant items concerning the history of Carmel. These collections include: photographs, books, letters, diaries, programs, manuscripts, maps, scrapbooks, and works of art.
Local History Hours
Tuesday-Friday: 1-6 pm
Local History Librarian
- America’s Obituaries & Death Notices: US obituaries from 1860 – current
- Ancestry Library Edition: US & international genealogy research (In-library use only)
- California Death Index: Deaths occurring 1940-1997
- : A resource guide put together by our local history librarian
- Carmel Pine Cone: 1915-present. The full run of the Carmel Pine Cone, Carmel’s weekly newspaper, is now available and searchable online, or on microfilm at the Park Branch Library in local history.
- Find A Grave: Millions of cemetery records
- Legacy.com: Find obituaries from over 1000 newspapers, 1998-present
- Social Security Death Index: 1935-2014, nationwide
- Carmel House Names (This map is not created or maintained by the City of Carmel-By-The-Sea.)
- Homes of Famous Carmelites
- Sanborn Fire Maps 1867-1970: Ask librarian for password, or use in the library
- Carmel Pine Cone on microfilm.
- City directories and reverse look-ups (1926-present, some gaps)
- City of Carmel Building Permits (1920-1933, 1939-1940)
- Historic Resources Inventory: Information on properties in Carmel deemed historic
- List of Deeds of Property, Carmel Development Company Papers (1903-1935)
- M.J. Murphy estimates/costs for home building/projects (1915-1917)
- Nixon File: Newspaper articles and obituaries from local newspapers (1900-present)
- Yearbooks and alumni resources