Support the Library
The Carmel Public Library benefits from the combination of the Carmel Public Library Foundation, Friends of the Carmel Public Library, Library Board of Trustees, and donors and volunteers like you!
Through the community’s support, the library is able to provide programming for all ages, enrich our collections, and furnish our facilities. Here are some ways that you can support your library:
Harrison Memorial Library Board of Trustees
Serve on the Board of Trustees. Meetings are open to the public and are held on the fourth Wednesday of every month at 9:00 a.m. in the Council Chambers at City Hall, located on Monte Verde Street between Ocean and Seventh Avenues. Members are appointed by the Mayor and Vice-mayor. Contact the City Clerk via email or (831) 620-2016 for more information.
Harrison Memorial Library Board of Trustees:
- John Krisher – Term expires 5/30/2025
- Marie-Clare Gorham – Term expires 5/30/2024
- Susan Murphy - Term expires 5/30/2026
- Phillip Pardue – Term expires 5/30/2025
- Mary Jo Williams – Term expires 5/30/2026
Duties, Responsibilities, and Authority:
- To manage, control and administer any library building or library property which is now owned or may hereafter be acquired by the City; to make and enforce all rules, regulations and bylaws necessary for the administration, government and protection of the library under its management and all property belonging thereto;
- To administer any trust hereafter declared or created for such library and receive any gift, devise or bequest and hold in trust, or otherwise, property situated in this State or elsewhere, and, when not otherwise provided, dispose of the same for the benefit of such library;
- To purchase necessary books, journals, publications and other personal property;
- To purchase such property and erect and equip such building or buildings, room or rooms, as may be necessary when in their judgment a suitable building or portion thereof has not been provided by the legislative body of the municipality for such library;
- To require the Secretary of State and other State officials to furnish such library with copies of any and all reports, laws and other publications of the State, not otherwise disposed of by law;
- To borrow books from, lend books to, and exchange the same with other libraries, and to allow nonresidents to borrow books, upon such conditions as they may prescribe;
- To do and perform any and all other acts and things necessary or proper to carry out the provisions of this chapter;
- The Board of Library Trustees shall, on or before the thirty-first day of August in each year, make a report to the City Council of the City, giving the condition of the library on the thirtieth day of June preceding, together with a statement of its proceedings for the year then ended, and forward a copy thereof to the State Library at Sacramento;
- To raise money for special or library purposes through direct organization and operation of fund-raising campaigns or programs, or through the establishment of foundations or employment of persons for fund-raising.
Friends of the Library
Join the Friends of Harrison Memorial Library (FHML). The Friends is a 501(c)(3) volunteer organization dedicated to our library programs.
- Fill out a , and send it and $15.00 in dues to: Friends of Harrison Memorial Library, C/O Treasurer, P.O. Box 87, Carmel, CA 93921.
Consider volunteering in the book room or serving on the Friends Board. Email Friends President Barbara Darrah for more information.
Donate your books to the Friends. The Book Room is located at Sunset Center off 10th Avenue between Mission and San Carlos Streets and the Friends welcome all kinds of donations – . Donations are accepted Tuesdays from 10 a.m. – noon.
Buy books at a Friends book sale. The Friends also has several places where you can browse books for sale:
- The Friend’s bookroom – Tuesday 10:00 am – 1:00 pm, Thursday 3:00 pm – 5:00 pm, and Saturday 11:00 am – 1:00 pm
- Thursday’s Farmers’ Market (when space is available) - Thursdays 10:00 am – 2:00 pm
- Park Branch Lobby (Mission & 6th) – Monday through Friday 10:00 am – 6:00 pm
We hope that you will continue to support the library and find interesting and affordable titles for your reading pleasure!
Carmel Public Library Foundation
Donate to the Carmel Public Library Foundation or serve on the Board of Directors. Though the Library is a department of the City of Carmel-by-the-Sea, we receive only a portion of our funding from the City.
Through the gifts, donations, and bequests of its members, Carmel Public Library Foundation provides the majority of funds for all of the books, materials, programs, and services of the Library.