2020 Elections: Voter Information
It’s time to make your voice heard.
- Oct. 5: Ballots mailed out in Monterey County
- Oct. 19: Voter registration deadline
- Nov. 3: Election Day
Starting October 5, you can return completed ballots to the book drop at the Harrison Memorial Library at the corner of Ocean Avenue and Lincoln Street. City Hall is NOT a ballot drop off location.
How do I vote?
- Make sure you’re registered to vote! The deadline to register is October 19. Check your voter registration status online or call (831) 796-1499. Register to vote now!
- All registered voters in California will be mailed a ballot. You don’t have to request a mail ballot. Ballots and local voter information guides for Monterey County will be mailed by October 5.
Sign up for Where’s My Ballot? to track when it’s been mailed, received and counted.
Where do I vote?
You can return your completed ballot at the Harrison Memorial Library! Beginning October 5, you can return your ballot in the Harrison Memorial Library book drop, corner of Ocean & Lincoln, 24 hours a day up to 8:00 p.m. on Election Day.
City Hall is NOT a ballot return location for this election.
You can also return your ballot:
- By mail: postage is prepaid (no stamp needed) and ballots must be postmarked by Election Day and received by the election official no later than 17 days after the election. The USPS suggests voters mail their completed ballots at least one week before the due date.
- In-person at any ballot drop box in Monterey County beginning October 5th.
- In-person at any early voting location in Monterey County beginning October 5th.
- In-person at any polling place in Monterey County on November 3rd.
- In-person at any ballot return box/early vote location/elections office/polling place/vote center in the State of California.
Need time off to vote in-person? Employers are required to give you time off to vote, but only 2 hours are paid, and you need to let them know in advance.
What’s on my ballot?
Have questions about what’s on your ballot? Try these resources:
- Ballotpedia California: A hub for state political coverage of elections, policies, and more.
- Calmatters Voter Guide: Nonpartisan voter’s guide with interactive tools, games and video explainers that break down state ballot propositions, explain California’s role in the presidential election, and identify key races by district.
- Voter’s Edge: Enter your address and learn about candidates and ballot measures and get answers to important questions about upcoming elections.
Harrison Memorial Library has been designated as a ballot return location. Beginning October 5, 2020 voters may use this location to return their voted ballot 24 hours a day up to 8:00 p.m. on Election Day. Due to COVID-19 and the closure of City facilities, City Hall is NOT a ballot return location for this election.
- Visit the California State Elections website, call their free and confidential voter information hotline at 1-800-345-8683 (VOTE) or email email@example.com.
- Take a look at the Monterey County Elections website.
November 3, 2020 General Election Information
The extended filing period for the November 3, 2020 General Municipal Election closed on Wednesday, August 12, 2020 at 5:00 PM. The following individuals qualified to appear on the ballot:
Office of Mayor
- Dave Potter
- Judy Refuerzo
Office of City Council Member
- Mo Massoudi
- Karen Ferlito
- Graeme A. Robertson
- Bobby Richards
Additional information regarding the November 3, 2020 Election can be found on the Monterey County Elections webpage.
Carmel-by-the-Sea 11-3-2020 Notice of Election
Carmel-by-the-Sea Resolution 2020-033 Calling November 3 2020 Election
Past Election Results
2020 General Municipal Election Results
March 3, 2020 Election Results
2018 General Municipal Election Results
2016 General Municipal Election - Final Election Results
2014 General Municipal Election Certification
2012 General Municipal Election Certification
2012 General Municipal Election Certification - Measure D
2010 General Municipal Election Certification
2009 General Municipal Election Certification - Measure T
2008 General Municipal Election Certification
2006 General Municipal Election Certification