Ongoing Public Works and Capital Improvement Projects
FY 2017/2018 Pavement Rehabilitation Program
This project involves the patching and overlay of various streets identified as part of the City’s SB 1 (The Road Repair and Accountability Act of 2017) project list for FY 2017-2018. The project will remove and repair failed pavement areas, mill where required, pave 2- inch thick asphalt overlay, and restore striping and pavement markings along:
- 1st Avenue from Lincoln to Mission Street,
- 2nd Avenue from Lincoln Street to Dolores Street
- 5th Avenue from Monte Verde Street to Dolores Street
- 6th Avenue from Dolores Street to Lincoln Street
- 8th Avenue from Forest Road to Turn Around
- 8th Avenue from Scenic Road to Carmelo Street
- 12th Avenue from Monte Verde Street to San Carlos Street
- 13th Avenue from Camino Real to Monte Verde Street
- Dolores Street from Santa Lucia Avenue to Franciscan Way
- Mountain View from Santa Fe Street to Forest Road
- Oak Knoll Way from Forest Road to Turn Around
- Ocean Avenue from Monte Verde Street to Junipero Avenue
- Rio Road from Junipero Avenue to Santa Lucia Avenue
- San Carlos Street from 13th Avenue to Santa Lucia Avenue
- Scenic Road from 8th Avenue to Block A3 S End.
Construction is anticipated from March through May 2018. With the proposed 2-inch overlays, the useful life is estimated at 10 years along aerials (Ocean Avenue and Rio Road) and 15-20 years along residential and collector streets.
Storm Drainage Improvements Project
This project involves the repair and improvement of the City’s drainage infrastructure. Repairs to the Guadalupe and 5th storm drain are proposed as a multi-year, phased project. The current drainage line is located on private property and is maintained by the City. Accessing private property for proper maintenance is often limited and poses difficulties. This project will re-route the existing storm drain in the area off of private property and onto City property for proper maintenance and to prevent flooding.
The first phase of the project, scheduled for 2017-2018, is the installation of a new storm drain on 5th Avenue between Guadalupe Street and Torres Street, which includes the paving of 5th Avenue to relocate a storm drain into the City right-of-way and will cost $576,000. This project also includes the overlay of 5th Avenue between Guadalupe Street and Torres Street.
Phases 2 and 3 will occur in subsequent fiscal years. Phase 2 will be the installation of a new storm drain on Guadalupe Street from the south side of 4th Avenue mid-block to Guadalupe Street and 5th Avenue and Phase 3 will be the installation of a new storm drain from Carpenter Street between 4th and 5th Avenues to the south side of 4th Avenue between Carpenter and Guadalupe Streets.
Other future year drainage repair and improvement projects that are anticipated include the installation of a new storm drain on 11th Avenue from Carmelo Street to San Antonio Street to reduce surface flow and flooding issues on San Antonio, a new storm drain on 8th Avenue between San Carlos and Mission Streets to reduce surface flow and flooding issues on Mission Street, and a new storm drain on Lincoln Street between 1st and 2nd Avenues to reduce surface flow and flooding issues.