File a Claim


How to File a Claim Against the City

  • Government Code sections 905 and 915 require the completion of a claim form with written justification for the amount of your claim.
  • Claims must be filed within six months following the incident.
  • Be sure to fill out the form completely, as an incomplete form may delay the processing of your claim.
  • Including a complete list of the names, addresses, and contact information of all witnesses to the incident will assist with the prompt review of the claim.


Property damage claims - require an estimate of repair costs and photographs of the alleged damage.

Auto accident claims - submit a diagram (can be hand drawn) showing the names of streets, including North, East, South, and West; indicate the place of the accident by an “X” and by showing distances to street corners.  If a City vehicle was involved, designate by letter “A” the location of the city vehicle when you first saw it, and by “B” the location of yourself or your vehicle at the time.

Fallen tree claims - submit a diagram (can be hand drawn) to show the location where the incident occurred, marking the location of the tree with an “X”, showing street names, landmarks or a photograph if necessary depicting the exact site.  Failure to complete the diagram or provide a photo of the site may result in delays in the acceptance of your claim as sufficient according to CA Government Code §§ 900 et seq. 224649 v6

Personal injury claims - require copies of all bills from treating physicians and proof of any other expenses claimed as a result of the incident.

Wage loss claims - you need to provide supporting documentation of work days and wages lost.

Download the Claim Form HERE

How to Submit Your Claim

Submit the original, signed claim form to the Office of the City Clerk:

By Mail:

City of Carmel-by-the-Sea

City Clerk

P.O. Box CC

Carmel-by-the-Sea, CA 93921

In Person:

Carmel City Hall

Located on Monte Verde between Ocean and Seventh Avenues, Carmel-by-the-Sea

What Happens After You File a Claim

  • A letter of acknowledgment with your claim number will be sent to you notifying you that your claim has been received. Use that claim number when inquiring about the status of your claim.
  • Allow 45 days for the Risk Management Division to process and investigate your claim.
  • The City may request additional information concerning your claim; such a request is neither an admission of responsibility or liability nor a commitment to make any payment on the claim.

Possible Outcomes of Claims Review

  • Settlement Offer: The City may offer to settle your claim if the investigation concludes it is responsible or at fault, and all information has been submitted.
  • Formal Denial: You will receive a formal denial letter if the City has determined that it is not responsible or at fault and will not pay any money in response to the claim. If your claim is denied and you wish to file a lawsuit against the City, you must do so within six months from the date the denial letter is placed in the mail.
  • Delayed Decision: The City may postpone a decision on your claim until medical treatment has been completed and bills or appropriate wage-loss forms and payroll records are submitted.

If you do not receive a formal denial of your claim, you have two years from the date of the incident to resolve your claim or file a lawsuit.


  • If you have questions about your claim, contact the City Clerk at
  • You may seek the advice of a private attorney at any time during the investigation and evaluation of your claim.
  • The City Attorney is counsel for the City and cannot provide advice regarding the merits of your claim.