Carmel Beach Rules
The City of Carmel-by-the-Sea has established beach rules to help improve the experience of all the beach users and protect the environment.
- The daily hours for propane device beach fires are between 4 p.m. and 10 p.m.
- Parking is allowed without charge along Scenic Road and at Del Mar parking lot until midnight.
- Stairways and/or designated pathways must be used for accessing the beach. It is not permitted to pass over beach bluffs for access to the beach.
- Propane-fueled fires are allowed at least 25 feet from the base of the bluff or dunes, from 10th Avenue south toward Martin Way.
- Charcoal-fueled (briquettes) fires are not allowed.
- Temporary structures such as tents, canopies or similar enclosures are not allowed.
- Smoking is not permitted on the beach or scenic pathway.
- Consumption of alcohol is allowed ONLY on the beach and is not permitted on the roadway or pathway.
- Dogs on the beach must be on a leash or under voice command. Dogs must be on a leash on the Scenic Pathway. Please clean up after your dog.
- All garbage and recyclables must be taken to the trash carts at the top of the staircases along the pathway or at Del Mar parking lot to keep the beach litter free.
If you are planning an event on the beach contact the Community Activities Department at (831) 620-2020 to find out what type of event permit you will need.