Donation Of Books And Other Materials Policy
Donations of books and other materials benefit the library and are greatly appreciated. The Friends of the Harrison Memorial Library (FOHML) accepts donations of books and materials in good condition on behalf of the Harrison Memorial Library. Books and materials donated to the FOHML are sold to generate funds for Library programming and for the purchase of new library materials.
The FOHML accept the following types of books and media in good condition:
- Fiction and non-fiction of all types
- Collectibles – first editions, signed, rare and antiquarian books
- Picture books for infants and toddlers
- Books for children and young adults
- DVDs and CDs (music and audiobooks)
The FOHML cannot accept the following materials, or materials in poor condition (please recycle or dispose of):
- Vinyl records, music cassettes, VHS tapes or computer software
- Magazines or maps or yearbooks
- Reader’s Digest Condensed Books
- Encyclopedias, textbooks or computer manuals older than 3 years
- Damaged, dirty, smelly or stained items
- Materials with excessive notes or highlighting
- Scratched or worn media
Materials donated to the FOHML must be unconditional and are non-returnable. The FOHML accept donations of materials at the Friends Book Room at Sunset Center (San Carlos and 10th).
Donations may not be placed in the Library book drops or left unattended on Library property. However, from time to time donations are made directly to the library by those unaware of this policy. Because of limitations of space, the library reserves the right to accept or discard, at its discretion, any materials donated directly to the Library.
(Adopted by the Harrison Memorial Library Board of Trustees March 2018.)