Beach Fires and Beach Rules
Updated August 2020
The City recognizes that outdoor activities are beneficial to relieve stress during these stressful times and encourages our residents to get outside and enjoy our local parks and the beach for walking, jogging, running, ocean recreational use, and wheelchair use.
If we all follow the following guidelines, the beach will remain open and we can continue to lessen the spread of the COVID-19 virus:
- Stay Local – Stay close to home. Parking on Scenic, San Antonio, and Del Mar has been restricted. Please do not take road trips to the beach.
- Leave it at Home – The use of coolers, umbrellas, shade tents, beach equipment, BBQ’s or chairs is not allowed
- Keep it Moving – Passive recreation (group activities/sports, sitting/lounging, picnics, sunbathing, BBQs/campfires) are not allowed. Only active recreation (walking, running, swimming, surfing) is allowed.
- Stay Safer at 6ft – No matter the recreational activity, maintain a physical distance of six feet or more.
- Keep Clean – Be prepared. The restrooms may be closed to the public. Bring soap/sanitizer.
- No Gatherings – Outdoor activities/events that bring together persons from multiple households at the same time are prohibited.
- No Beach Fires – The City supplied wood burning fire pits have not been placed on the beach due to the COVID-19 Shelter-in-Place Orders. The use of self-supplied propane devices is prohibited during Shelter-in-Place Orders.
The City of Carmel-by-the-Sea appreciates your cooperation in adhering to the State and Monterey County Shelter-in-Place Orders. Please stay safe and we will all get together soon.