Transportation & Parking
For information about bus service in Carmel and the greater Monterey and Salinas areas, including trip planning, schedules, maps and fares, visit the Monterey-Salinas Transit website at http://www.mst.org.
There are places to park in Carmel, but you need to know where to look! Nearly 1,800 parking spaces are located in the central business district, many of which are free of charge except Ocean Ave between Junipero and Monte Verde Street which charges $2.00 an hour to park or .50 cents for every 15 minutes.
Most cities charge for curbside parking. This is not the case in Carmel-by-the-Sea except for parking on Ocean Ave. Carmel offers free, curbside parking on all public streets other than Ocean Ave! And, in late 2007 the Carmel city council unanimously approved increasing the curbside time limit from 90 minutes to 2 hours. Ocean Ave is currently part of a pilot parking program based on the Walker parking study that was completed November of 2013 and one of Carmel City Council’s key initiatives for 2014. There is a 4 hour parking limit on Ocean Ave.
Note: For the Ocean Avenue pilot program only, The City of Carmel contracts with Parkmobile for users who wish to set up an account to pay for parking by using their cell phone.
Parking availability in the central business district is summarized below:
- Free, 2-Hour curbside parking on every block of the central business district except Ocean Ave.
- Paid Parking, $2.00 per hour on Ocean Ave or .50 cents for every 15 minutes.
- Free, 30-minute curbside parking at nearly every corner of every street for short term including Ocean Ave.
- Free, unlimited time parking at the following locations:
- Vista Lobos public parking lot, located behind the Vista Lobos building at Junipero and 3rd Avenue.
- Center median street and curbside spaces on Junipero Avenue between 5th and 3rd Avenues.
- The Sunset Center North Lot located at the SW corner of Mission and 8th.
- Most residential streets outside the central business district.
NOTE: DO NOT USE THESE LOCATIONS TO STORE A VEHICLE. ANY VEHICLE UNMOVED FOR MORE THAN 48 HOURS IS SUBJECT TO A CITATION AND/OR TOW AT OWNER’S EXPENSE.
Another paid parking lot is available to patrons who shop at the Carmel Plaza shopping. This parking lot can be accessed by entering from Mission Street, north of 7th Avenue. The cost is $3.00 per hour.
ENFORCEMENT: Parking regulations are enforced by parking enforcement officers.
Important notice: Carmel uses electronic equipment (GPS) to assist with enforcement, so if you don’t see a “chalk” mark on your tire, do not assume you have additional time!
All time regulations (4 hour, 2 hour, 1 hour, 30 minute and 10 minute zones) are enforced out of courtesy to others who need a parking space. Handicapped persons in possession of a valid handicap placard can park in any time zone without paying and can stay any length of time.
For any additional questions regarding parking, please contact the Carmel Police Department at (831) 624-6403.