Carmel-by-the-Sea Department of Community Planning and Building
Carmel-by-the-Sea is internationally recognized as a unique small coastal community with a distinctive residential village character. The City strives to preserve and maintain this character through appropriate zoning and land development regulations. The code compliance function of the City is established to:
- Educate the public on City rules and regulations;
- Assist in maintaining and protecting community character;
- Help promote a clean, healthy and safe environment; and to
- Protect property values.
- Complaint is received or staff observes a potential violation.
- A site inspection is scheduled to verify if a violation exists.
- Staff attempts to make personal contact with property owner/tenant/business owner to discuss the violation.
- A letter is sent detailing the violation with a timeline for correction.
- If a property owner/tenant/business owner is not responsive, a citation may be issued. Businesses may also be scheduled for a hearing with the Planning Commission to revoke a use permit and/or business license.
- If a citation does not resolve the violation, the matter is forwarded to the City Attorney’s office for further action.